This is a letter of notification to inform students and parents that adjustments will be implemented to the Milliken Middle School Extended Learning Opportunity (ELO) after school tutoring program. It is very important that all students and parents understand the changes that will go into effect for the 2007-08 ELO program as it may directly affect your child’s academic success at
Beginning in the fall of the 2007-08 school year, students and parents will be responsible to help their child attend ELO classes on a voluntary basis. As a middle school student preparing to attend high school, it is necessary to take initiative and responsibility for monitoring your own academic progress and need for extra academic assistance. Middle school staff will partnership with parents and students in these responsibilities by offering a weekly notice to students and parents of a child’s failing grade status through a written notice and a parent telephone contact. Staff will also offer daily tutoring for content area instruction according to the schedule listed below from the hours of .
The 2007-08 ELO schedule for academic tutoring is as follows:
1) Any student failing language arts/reading/social studies class(es) may attend ELO on Mondays and Wednesdays only from until .
2) Any student failing science/math class(es) may attend ELO on Tuesdays and Thursdays only from until .
3) It is possible that a student could be failing a language arts/reading/social studies class and a science/math class. In this circumstance, a student may attend ELO classes Monday through Thursday (4 days) from until .
4) Students attending ELO may leave ELO classroom early if the student determines they understand their lesson or academic objective.
5) Transportation arrangements home from ELO is the responsibility of the student and the parent. A bus will not be provided for students.
We believe, all students are all capable of completing their school work and that they understand what an “acceptable effort” is. Staff members at MMS would encourage students and parents to stay in contact and updated with your student’s progress and their effort in the classroom. The opportunity to attend the ELO program will help us all support your child’s success at
In addition, we would like to remind all students and parents that ELO can help your child maintain the status of eligibility for extracurricular activities as determined by the school eligibility policy. Please keep in mind attendance to school sponsored events such as games, programs, concerts, and school dances are all extra curricular events. We would encourage parents and students to use the ELO program as a way to ensure academic success and put themselves in a position in which they can enjoy the school year’s extracurricular events.
Please understand the intention and goals for the Extended Learning Opportunity program is to add a program of intervention and teacher/parent partnership to help your student to maintain passing grades and additional time to ensure student understanding of the necessary academic standards. Parents and students are encouraged to take advantage of this program to ensure a positive academic experience while attending MMS. We know that together, parents, students and staff, can work as a team to lead MMS students to terrific accomplishments!
Thank you for helping support your child’s education at